Tuesday, 6 October 2026

[Fanbook Translation] [Over RequiemZ] Over RequiemZ Official Visual Fanbook

Over RequiemZ Official Visual Fanbook


Over RequiemZ 公式ビジュアルファンブック

Series Name Over RequiemZ
Developer Kogado Studio & Otomate
Release Date 2026/09/29
ISBN 9784047338180
Physical Purchase Playasia
Digital Purchase BookWalker
♥ Contents ♥
Character Q&A Page 114
Everyday Chit-Chat: A Positive Outlook on Ways to Die Page 115
Special Features Page 116
Creator Interview: Hiroko Hosoya Page 118
Creator Interview: Kazari Tayu Page 122
 
 
⚠ Spoiler warning for Over RequiemZ!
 
Page 114
 
♥ Character Q&A ♥

First published in B's-LOG March 2025 & April 2025 issues

Kaize Ozma

Kaize Ozma

 
Q1: What do you like and dislike about the protagonist?
 
I cannot bring myself to dislike anything about her. As for what I like, well... all sorts of things, really... For instance... when she discovers something rare or unusual, her eyes go wide. Sometimes her mouth drops open at the same time, too. And then, her whole face suddenly lights up. Even little mannerisms like that... are endearing to me.
 
Q2: Your fellow travelers stand accused of the crime of murder, but who is the most dangerous person among them?
 
Probably... myself. Ever since I was born into this world, this country has been plagued by misfortune. The suffering of the common people, and how my father, my mother and… my brother passed away, too. All of it may well be a calamity that I brought about. During this journey, I can only hope that I do not drag everyone else into my misfortune...
 
Q3: Looking back on your life so far, please share if you've ever faced any major choices or turning points.
 
A turning point, huh…? That's a lovely word. It makes it sound as though the road ahead could split off into countless directions... as though a different future could be waiting for me. But for someone like me, life is only ever a one-way road. I have no choice but to simply keep walking down it.
 
Q4: What do you want to do once this journey is over?
 
Something I want to do...? What I... want to do... Nothing comes to mind. If only all of us could return safely from the ruins... perhaps then I might finally feel relieved. For now, that is the only feeling I would like to experience… Together with everyone.

Claude Grain

 
Q1: What do you like and dislike about the protagonist?
 
What I like about her is how brimming with curiosity she is. There isn't really anything I dislike about her in particular, but... If we spent enough time together from here on out, maybe I'd find something? Still, our relationship only lasts until we finish exploring the ruins. We'll say our goodbyes before I ever get the chance to find out. Probably, anyway.
 
Q2: Your fellow travelers stand accused of the crime of murder, but who is the most dangerous person among them?
 
What do you mean, 'who' ...? Isn't it all of us? The moment someone's branded a homicidal killer, that already tells you everything you need to know. Even if it's a false charge, there's no smoke without fire. Oh, and our watchdog is someone to watch out for, too—in the sense that he's not someone you can easily read, I mean.
Claude Grain
 
Q3: Looking back on your life so far, please share if you've ever faced any major choices or turning points.
 
I believe every single day is a crossroad. If you do even one thing differently, the outcome inevitably changes. Which means in every single moment up until now... there must have been one. Another path that wouldn't have led to this mess. But it's already too late... there's no turning back...
 
Q4: What do you want to do once this journey is over?
 
...That's not something I have any business thinking about. I don't have the right to. Envisioning a future... just isn't in the cards for me anymore...
Molly Woodland

Molly Woodland

 
Q1: What do you like and dislike about the protagonist?
 
I like how cute she is. The way she's so quick to trust people, or how grateful she is whenever someone treats her kindly. She's pure of heart, I suppose. Though sometimes that can put her at risk, too… She really ought to be a little more cautious. Rather than disliking it, it's more that it makes me anxious about her safety, I suppose.
 
Q2: Your fellow travelers stand accused of the crime of murder, but who is the most dangerous person among them?
 
Oh, come on, everyone's so friendly—they're nothing but good people, aren't they? That said... Noil can have pretty sharp intuition at times. He may seem dull, but he's actually quite perceptive. Aside from him, there's Dorothy, I suppose. I mean, you can never tell what he's really thinking, right? From my perspective, that makes him someone to watch out for, I'd say.
 
Q3: Looking back on your life so far, please share if you've ever faced any major choices or turning points.
 
A turning point, huh…? One just came to mind. I made a bit of a blunder on a job once, you see. The situation got so out of hand that I ended up losing my cool. It was… a moment of weakness on my part. But I'll make up for that mistake after this. I'll dispose of things cleanly, with my own two hands.
 
Q4: What do you want to do once this journey is over?
 
What an odd thing to ask. Especially when there's no guarantee this journey will even end safely. Still, let's see... There is something I wish to accomplish over the course of this journey. In other words... by the time this journey comes to an end, everything I want to do will already be done with. All of it.

Noil Bestia

 
Q1: What do you like and dislike about the protagonist?
 
Even when she's completely out of her depth, she searches for a way to contribute and hangs in there with everything she's got. That's something I respect and like about her. The fact that she doesn't complain or show weakness easily is also good. It's great seeing her dig into the food I make like it's the best thing ever, too. There isn't a single thing I dislike about her.
 
Q2: Your fellow travelers are accused of the crime of murder, but who is the most dangerous person among them?
 
Even though they have black eyes and black hair, that girl and Lord Kaize are good people, aren't they? Claude and Dorothy may nag all the damn time, but it's not like they're bad people. Molly's always messing with people, but he's not a bad guy either… Still, something about him just doesn't strike me as an ordinary, law-abiding civilian, y'know?
Noil Bestia
 
Q3: Looking back on your life so far, please share if you've ever faced any major choices or turning points.
 
Ah... well, that's… I don't really remember.
 
Q4: What do you want to do once this journey is over?
 
Once I finish serving my sentence, there's someone I want to look for. As for what I'll do when I find him... even I don't really know. Maybe I just want to find out for myself—why he'd ever… resort to murder in the first place...
Dorothy

Dorothy

 
Q1: What do you like and dislike about the protagonist?
 
What I like about her is how she refuses to give up. I'm not lying, truly. I mean it from the bottom of my heart. She never quits. Even covered in wounds, forced to crawl on her hands and knees, she keeps moving forward. What I dislike... is the way she suffers because of it.
 
Q2: Your fellow travelers stand accused of the crime of murder, but who is the most dangerous person among them?
 
No one in particular. Or rather, every single one of them. Even if someone appears to be a good person, you never know what they're truly thinking deep down. There are no villains, nor are there saints. Everyone is merely human. And that... includes myself, as well as milady.
 
Q3: Looking back on your life so far, please share if you've ever faced any major choices or turning points.
 
Oh, plenty. As many as there are stars in the sky. Like dreading a job and trying to skip out on it. Or sneaking out of an empty room. Or getting caught in a downpour without an umbrella and ending up drenched to the bone. My life is an endless series of choices and crossroads.
 
Q4: What do you want to do once this journey is over?
 
Once this journey... is... over... Let's see, perhaps I'll treat myself to an extended vacation? Better yet, I could simply quit being a witch altogether and disappear without a trace—wouldn't that be nice? Ah, I'm already looking forward to it.
Page 115
 
♥ Everyday Chit-Chat:
A Positive Outlook on Ways to Die
♥

First published in B's-LOG May 2025 issue

 
Molly
So, everyone, what way of dying would you hate the most?
 
Claude
Hold on a second, where on earth did that topic come from?! That wasn't where this conversation was going at all!
 
Noil
Cut it out, you're gonna ruin my appetite.
 
Molly
Come on, when we camp around the bonfire like this every single night, conversation is bound to run dry eventually, isn't it? So I thought I'd stir things up a bit.
 
Protagonist
T-That's quite the curveball you chose to stir things up with…
 
Dorothy
Well, this is a punitive journey where our lives are constantly at risk, after all. Perhaps preparing ourselves for the worst isn't such a bad idea.
 
Kaize
When you put it like that, it's hardly a topic we can simply ignore...
 
Noil
Fine then, let's start with the person who brought it up. C'mon, you first.
 
Molly
I don't really care how I die. As long as I can end things having done what I set out to do, that's good enough for me.
 
Dorothy
Wait, isn't that a bit of a cop-out after bringing up the topic yourself?
 
Kaize
What you set out to do... If you look at it the other way around, does that mean you wouldn't want to meet your end without achieving your goal?
 
Molly
...Ah... I suppose you're right. Dying with my plans unfinished would be unpleasant. I'm rather stubborn when it comes to giving up, after all.
 
Claude
That's unexpected. You always act like you're indifferent to everything.
 
Molly
What about you then, Claude?
 
Claude
I don't care either way. Besides, no one gets to choose how they die anyway, right? It's not like our wishes will be granted, so what's the point in even talking about it?
 
Noil
Man, what kind of boring-ass answer is that? Dorothy, what about you?
 
Dorothy
For me, I think the one thing I couldn't bear is dying alone.
 
Protagonist
That's surprisingly down-to-earth of you.
 
Dorothy
Well, believe it or not, I do have some knowledge of medicine. Cases like that are surprisingly common, you know. Loneliness is truly the dark affliction of our modern age.
 
Kaize
I see... If it is a problem that afflicts the common people, then perhaps it is a matter I ought to take seriously...
 
Noil
You don't need to burden yourself with that, Lord Kaize! Damn witch, keep your mouth shut.
 
Claude
And what about you? Seeing as you're a knight, I figured you'd at least be prepared for death.
 
Noil
Well, yeah. But starving to death is an absolute no for me. Having nothing to eat sucks, but... having food right in front of your face and not being able to eat it is torture.
 
Molly
You, unable to stomach a meal? I can hardly imagine you being so fragile.
 
Noil
Keep talking and I'll dry you out in the sun and boil you down for stock!
 
Claude
That sounds disgusting, please don't. That leaves... Kaize, doesn't it?
 
Kaize
As for me... I think seeing those around me lose their lives would be more painful than losing my own. Especially... if the cause was me...
 
Claude
I see... Well, maybe that really is true. After all, the moment you die yourself is only an instant, isn't it...
 
Molly
Indeed. Well then, lastly, what's your opinion on the matter?
 
Protagonist
When it comes down to it, I really just don't want to die. Even if I'm barely scraping by, I want to do my best to stay alive.
 
Dorothy
That's exactly right—Milady is completely correct. Having this conversation under the assumption we're all going to die in the first place is what's wrong here!
 
Protagonist
Right, exactly. Especially at a time like this, we should all be focusing on completing our sentence and making it out alive.
 
Kaize
...Yes. Perilous as exploring the ruins may be, let's make it out alive. Every last one of us.
Page 116
 
♥ Special Features ♥

Claude Grain - Special Feature

 
Q1: You overslept and you're terribly late! What excuse do you make to smooth things over?
 
Yaaawn... Sorry, I overslept. I've had terrible trouble falling asleep these past few years, you see. I only finally managed to drift off an hour ago... No, don't worry about my health. We've got to keep marching toward the ruins today, after all.
 
Q2: You've lost something precious given to you by someone, how do you play it off?
 
It's only been a few days since we met, but if you've given me anything on this journey, it's that look of pure curiosity on your face. Just looking at you brings it all back—there was a time I used to be like that, too.
 
Q3: You're asked "What day is today?" but you can't think of a single anniversary! How do you respond?
 
Today is... the anniversary of my father's death, isn't it? The day three years ago when I... slashed everyone to pieces... Just kidding. There's no way I'd remember the exact date. I was hardly in any state to keep track of things like that back then.
 
Q4: Now that you've come up with excuses for all three scenarios, please share your thoughts!
 
...Hm? That's what this was supposed to be about...? My bad, I was just answering honestly.
 

Molly Woodland - Special Feature

 
Q1: What are three things you keep in mind to ensure work goes smoothly?
 
Showing respect and trust to my business partners. Keeping promises in good faith. And... swift retribution for traitors, I suppose. This is a line of work where mistakes aren't tolerated, after all.
 
Q2: What is something in your work that recently brought you joy, or a time where you felt a sense of accomplishment from seeing a job through to the end?
 
I plan to 'see a job through to the end' very soon.
 
Q3: If you were to start dating someone in your workplace, would you make it public? Or would you keep it a secret?
 
I could never see myself falling for anyone I meet through this line of work. Ah, but I suppose there might be times where pretending to be lovers is necessary. If that happens, I'll expect you to play your part flawlessly. If you mess up… well, you know what happens, don't you?
 
Q4: Please share a message of encouragement for those working hard in their careers or studies!
 
Is your work painful? Exhausting? Well, isn't that wonderful. It's proof that you're fighting desperately to live. People who push themselves forward even if they have to crawl on their hands and knees aren't half bad… Personally, I'm quite fond of them.
 

Special Feature

 
Q1: If you were to give up on romance with someone you love dearly, what kind of obstacle would cause it?
 
What a strange question to ask. Giving up isn't even an option—romance is an impossible wish to begin with... Or something like that... Look at me, I hardly seem like the type to get caught up in romantic affairs, wouldn't you say? Whether there are obstacles or not, it never mattered in the first place.
 
Q2: If the world was going to end tomorrow unless you and your lover broke up, what would you say to them?
 
If the world wants to end, it can rot for all I care. But if you aren't alive, none of it means a thing. That's why... even after I'm gone, please keep living. In this country, in this world. That is my only wish.
 
Ultimate Situation 1
Q3: Your lover is suddenly struck with amnesia—and the only person they've forgotten is you! What would you do?
 
Having no lover to speak of makes it rather difficult to answer. Let's see... if someone truly precious to me were to forget who I was… I would simply... stay by their side. For as long as I am allowed to be there, always.
 
Ultimate Situation 2
Q4: You discover you have only three months left to live! How would you handle things with your lover?
 
It's fine, isn't it? I still have three whole months, don't I? That is more than enough time. Sharing meals together, going out to places, gazing up at the night sky. Praying that we can open our eyes to see another day. I would simply spend my days like that.
Page 117
 

Noil Bestia - Special Feature

 
Nominated by Kaize Ozma
Q1: Out of everyone around you, who best fits the older brother archetype?
 
While people might overlook him in favour of the others, I would like to nominate Noil. He is someone who truly cherishes his comrades and family. And besides... he praises me quite often.
Noil Evaluation Chart
 
Q1: What are your thoughts after seeing your Big Brother Evaluation Chart?
 
Getting recommended by Lord Kaize is way too high an honour... Well, I do like cooking, I'm confident in my stamina, and I can admit I often pamper people. But I'm definitely not cut out to be a leader—even if I do end up chosen as squad leader.
 
Q2: What do you do for someone when they're feeling down?
 
I'd brew up something hot to drink and have a chat with you. If it's something you feel like you can tell me, I'm all ears. If you'd rather keep it to yourself, that's totally fine too. We can just yap about pointless nonsense until you feel a little better.
 
Q3: As a dependable older brother, please share some encouraging words of praise for everyone working hard out there!
 
Tough times, painful things you just have to suck up and endure... you've got plenty of that going on every day, don't you? Carrying all that weight and still pushing forward makes you pretty damn admirable. Give yourself some credit, alright? You did great today.
 

Kaize Ozma - Special Feature

 
Q1: You wake up to find you've been reincarnated into another world! Would you be able to accept it right away?
 
I hear that she, too, came from a foreign realm. If I were put in a similar position, I imagine I would be quite bewildered. But... perhaps I might actually feel glad. When I see her smile on our journey together, I cannot help but feel that way.
 
Q2: If you could gain one unique ability in the world you were reborn into, what would it be?
 
I have no need for any special power. But if I were allowed... I would like to spend my days peacefully. Without anyone fearing me, and without hurting anyone. I would simply like to know what it's like to live quietly...
 
Q3: If you were to conquer the world you were reborn into, what three laws would you enact as its new ruler?
 
It seems best to answer this in jest. 'Any establishment serving cheese omelettes must invite the King at least once'... Yes. I believe this law alone would suffice. I would love to go around tasting them all.
 
Q4: If you were allowed to bring only one person along to this new world, who would it be?
 
If that place were peaceful, I would want to invite her. But if it meant enduring days of hardship and pain... going alone would be best. Above all, I want her to be happy... Though I would leave the final decision up to her, of course.
Page 118 & 119
 
♥ Creator Interview ♥

An interview with this title's planner, original concept creator and director, Hiroko Hosoya, alongside character designer and key artist Kazari Tayu!
Packed with behind-the-scenes development stories, creative insights, and so much more!

 
♥ Hiroko Hosoya ♥

Planning, Original Concept & Director

Project Planning

Q: To start off, please tell us how the concept for this title first came about.
 
The team at Kogado Studio reached out to me, giving me the opportunity to draft the project proposal. They proposed using The Wizard of Oz as a foundation, and from there, I began brainstorming ways to build an original world setting and creative direction.
 
Q: Now that the game has been released, looking back at the initial proposal, was there anything that changed significantly?
 
I believe the core underlying themes have remained completely consistent since the very start of the project. In fact, there probably isn't anything that underwent major changes.
 
Q: During development, were there any memorable hardships or struggles that you feel you can finally look back on and talk about now?
 
Game development is quite an ordeal from start to finish, really... (laughs). This time, every single romanceable character follows completely different paths between the 'Fact' and 'Dark' routes. While ensuring both routes function coherently, I naturally had to keep each character's core actions and motivations consistent as a single individual. On top of that, all five characters lead their own separate lives, so I wanted to depict entirely different stories for each of them. In other words, I was essentially writing narratives for ten different people... At the time, my brain honestly felt like it had turned to mush.

Visual Design

Q: Could you tell us what brought about the decision to appoint Kazari Tayu for character design?
 
We had previously worked together on another project, and through that connection, I reached out to her for this title. I have always admired how Kazari Tayu's characters radiate raw emotions from deep within, as well as a striking sense of physical presence—they truly feel like they really exist. Since this game features many illustrations that aren't just sweet and fluffy, I felt certain she could capture the raw essence of human nature, so I eagerly asked her to come on board.
 
Q: When requesting the character designs for this title, how did you convey your vision and bring them to life? Please tell us about the character development workflow and any specific points you focused on.
 
I prepared design materials incorporating reference photos alongside written details like character profiles, allowing Tayu-san to flesh out the concepts from there. Meeting up in person, as well as sharing screens online to exchange feedback in real time was a huge asset. At the same time, if I were to force my personal preferences onto her, it would only end up smothering Tayu-san's invaluable creativity. Choosing to place trust in her and letting her take the reins where appropriate made the whole process genuinely enjoyable for me.
 
Q: Were there any ideas from the character designs that fed back into the project's story or planning, or any elements that were altered from your initial concept in any way?
 
Molly ended up with a far more refined and elegant image than I had originally planned. In contrast, I think Noil gained elements of roughness as well as an open-hearted warmth. That said, overall, she translated our early concepts so seamlessly into the visual designs that there were no major changes.
 
Q: Given that this title takes inspiration from The Wizard of Oz, could you share what you focused on most regarding the clothing, backgrounds, and overall visual theme?
 
Since the story involves the characters traveling through various regions, we wanted to ensure each location had its own distinct regional identity. We assigned real-world nations as motifs for each respective land, which I believe is reflected clearly in the background art, the clothing designs, and even the local cuisines.
 
Q: Were there any details you particularly focused on or took special care with when establishing the character relationship dynamics?
 
We deliberately aimed for a smaller cast with deeper interpersonal relationships. I believe having characters who seem unrelated at first glance but are indirectly connected adds immense depth, so I planted several subtle hints of foreshadowing throughout the story. I would be thrilled if players took the time to search for those hidden details. On a side note, when conceptualising the six main characters, I had tabletop Murder Mystery games in mind. Every single one of them is harbouring secrets, and everyone is skilled at lying. Yet, they can still sit together and converse amicably... That was the kind of dynamic I envisioned.

Narrative

Q: Please tell us what you prioritised or paid special attention to when writing the story for this title.
 
Since we've been discussing serious topics for a while, to touch on something a bit lighter—I was very particular about keeping their interactions witty and lighthearted. I aimed for the kind of silly, pointless chatter you could listen to forever, but how did it come across to you? As for the serious scenes... my singular focus was writing them in a way that would resonate with the player and move them deeply.
 
Q: Please tell us about anything that proved difficult or slowed progress while creating the plot and scenarios, as well as any memorable anecdotes that occurred during production.
 
It was really... really tough... (laughs). Please allow those words alone to encapsulate the full weight of the struggle. If I had to share a specific anecdote, it would be how, during production, I got so intensely immersed in the characters' emotions and so caught up in their world that my keyboard was constantly drenched in tears. I once ended up doing that in a café, and I could never set foot in that place again.
 
Q: The complete absence of an affection meter is quite an unusual setup for a joseimuke adventure game. Could you once again share your thoughts and creative priorities when designing the game's mechanics?
 
I believe the greatest appeal of an adventure game lies in its dialogue. Wouldn't it be far more engaging if you could converse freely, however you liked? That was the mindset that led me to formulate this system. Different players experience the exact same scene in completely different ways. By deliberately presenting distinct dialogue options, I hoped players could make choices that align as closely as possible with their personal feelings. On a side note, the reward dialogue choices exist purely to unlock the reward voices. Even on busy days when you don't have time to play the main story, I hope you still enjoy listening to those bonus clips.
 
Q: Even within each character's individual routes, the story branches into a 'Fact' route and a 'Dark' route. Please tell us about your creative priorities and what you focused on for each path.
 
Fact Route
I view this as both an emotionally stirring route and the point where the mystery finally unravels. That is precisely why I wanted to portray the characters living their lives as ordinary human beings. In life, I believe everyone faces hardships. There are moments when you feel you've hit a dead end, or times when you collapse—feeling like you've lost everything. Even so, I believe that even a single step forward can connect you to the road ahead. I wrote the story with this sentiment in mind, hoping it might lend a bit of strength to those who play the game.
 
Dark Route
To ensure this route would resonate with players who love darker themes, I built it around a great deal of calculated logic. I remember what a struggle it was—studying all sorts of tropes and scenarios, combining them, rearranging them... Because everyone's tastes differ, I approached each scene with the mindset of delivering a one-hit KO—hoping to land at least one devastating blow that leaves an unforgettable impact in the player's heart.
 
Q: In this title, the protagonist deepens her bond with the men under constant tension while exploring the ruins where danger is ever-present. Depending on the route, there are scenes that are not merely sweet, but also tinged with heartache. What did you focus on when crafting the romantic scenes in each individual route?
 
To tell you the truth, sweet scenes are actually my weak point. I still find myself pondering the question, 'What does sweetness even mean...?' Sweetness... what even is it, really? Is it enough to have them kiss? Hug? Say 'I love you'? I feel this is an area where I still have plenty to learn.
 
Q: Please tell us about one romantic scene and one ending you are particularly fond of.
 
Whichever scenes and endings the players tell me they love—those are my favourites as well.
 
Q: Aside from the romance scenes and the endings, is there any scene you particularly hope players will see?
 
Perhaps the lively moments during their journey where the cast is bantering and having fun together. But truly, whatever scenes players find themselves drawn to and wanting to see—experiencing those is what matters most of all.

Sound Design

Q: Please tell us about your creative priorities when producing the background music.
 
I envisioned tracks brimming with exotic flair, reminiscent of an RPG. And I am truly so grateful to have received music that matched that vision so perfectly! The tracks are such personal favourites of mine that I found myself wanting to leave them on repeat the entire time I was working.
 
Q: Please tell us if there were any memorable moments that left a strong impression on you during the voice recording sessions.
 
I suppose it would be how everyone seemed to have their souls sucked out of them after getting through the Dark routes... (laughs). Joking aside, I am truly grateful for how sincerely and passionately the cast engaged with their characters. Discussing things together in the studio and breathing life into the characters was so much fun. Also, the performance for Mother Rat was so extraordinarily authentic that being blown away by it remains a fond memory of mine.
 
Q: Were there any scenes that became even more memorable once the voice acting was added?
 
First of all, this is something I always feel during recording sessions—the very moment the first line is voiced, I get chills thinking, 'Ah, the character has truly come to life.' It might just be the sentimental bias of their creator, but it feels as though blood is finally coursing through their veins and they've begun living in that world. Naturally, my heart was swelling with emotion during the climactic highlights of each route, even during the recording sessions. Having the voiced dialogue really adds so much presence and emotional weight to a scene, doesn't it? Beyond that, recording the comedic back-and-forth banter left a particularly deep impression on me. I was utterly blown away by the incredible range and versatility of everyone's acting.
 
Q: How has the reception been following the game's release?
 
I am truly delighted to see everyone enjoying the game. Even more than the sheer volume of feedback, what brings me the most joy is seeing each player discover their own unique way to engage with the game. What they loved, what they disliked, the scenes that moved them, the moments that fell a bit flat... Knowing that the work stirred people's emotions in all these different ways is the ultimate reward for a creator. Thank you so much.
 
Q: Have there been any requests or feedback from fans that left a particularly strong impression on you?
 
While some players were moved to tears by the Fact routes, others were practically dancing with joy over the Dark routes—it was truly fascinating to see how divided the reactions were. What people love varies endlessly from person to person. It gave me an invaluable opportunity to reflect anew on what kind of stories I should depict in entertainment going forward.
 
Q: Please tell us about your future plans or anything you're hoping to pursue going forward.
 
For now, I just want to relax at a hot spring... (laughs).
 
Q: Lastly, please share a final message with all the fans.
 
The fact that you are reading this right now must mean that you played the game, enjoyed it, and even went out of your way to purchase the fanbook, right? Thank you so very much. Knowing that you enjoyed it is the greatest encouragement of all. And if I may ask for one thing, please continue to love and cherish the man who captured your heart, even if only for a second longer. I've always believed that from the moment a game reaches players' hands, it belongs entirely to them. I would be overjoyed if you could continue to live freely alongside them in this world for as long as possible.
 
♥ Supporting Characters ♥
Concepts, Themes & Behind-the-Scenes Stories

Director Hosoya shares the concepts and lore behind the richly unique supporting cast, as well as ideas that were scrapped along the way!

Toto

Toto

He is more of an ordinary human than anyone else in the cast. And I believe he truly was kind at heart—otherwise, he wouldn't feel the slightest guilt toward his parents or his patients. That said, the fact that his personality became so twisted is entirely due to his inherent nature, I think.
Archray

Archray

Due to some of the funny dialogue options, he ended up showing a bit of a charming, endearing side. Both brothers happen to be a little airheaded anyway, so it didn't disrupt his overarching character concept.
Nenohs Uraw

Nenohs Uraw

In a purely hypothetical scenario where he grew up uncorrupted, I think he would have warmed up to the protagonist after Claude's route, calling out 'Professor and assistant!' to both of them. Of course, since it was only ever a what-if scenario, that plot idea swiftly crumbled away.
Osser Woodland

Osser Woodland

In our earliest concepts, Osser was actually the head of the organisation and Molly was a subordinate working under him. However, once we finalised the creative direction of making Molly a doll, Osser ended up shifting into the role of the boss's right-hand man.
Glinda Felis

Glinda Felis

We had an initial plot where Glinda was possessed by the Lord of the Depths, meaning the person Noil had to defeat in the final battle was actually Glinda herself. In that version, Eugene's role was that of a tragic victim trying to protect the siblings.
Eugene Pulpo

Eugene Pulpo

While Noil and Glinda's parents passed away, Eugene was abandoned by his. He likely always felt that he alone was unloved—like he was some kind of filthy, tainted existence. And yet, even now, he treasures them so deeply that he still dreams of those childhood days he spent playing with Noil and Glinda.
Page 120
 
♥ Main Characters ♥
Behind-the-Scenes Production Stories, Creative Insights & Hiroko Hosoya's Favourite Event CGs

We spoke with Director Hosoya about the creation and behind-the-scenes secrets of the five romanceable male leads, as well as her personal highlights and favourite event scenes for each of them.

Kaize Ozma

Kaize Ozma

In our earliest concepts, I envisioned him as a much cooler, aloof character with more guarded traits. However, wanting to make him more entertaining, I ended up turning him into a total chuunibyou.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
The scene where Kaize takes to the sky on his wings for the very first time. In that moment—feeling the night breeze brushing against his cheeks, breathing in air that filled his lungs with such relief—I felt that he was finally able to breathe, as though he had truly begun to live. The final battle with his brother has also remained burned into my memory, heightened by the gorgeous event CG.
Claude Grain

Claude Grain

Clever people tend to be great at using analogies, don't they? That's why we ended up giving him his own unique brand of funny, metaphorical retorts.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
It's the scene where Claude mourns his family and is finally able to shed tears. Moving forward in life isn't just about having the drive to push ahead, is it? Sometimes, stopping in your tracks, feeling regret, and grieving deeply in your heart can become a source of strength in itself. This episode was a personal reminder of that truth for me.
Page 121
 
Molly Woodland

Molly Woodland

Originally, there was no plan for the protagonist to address him with the '-san' honorific. But it was no use; I just couldn't bring myself to drop it. Molly is, and always will be, Molly-san.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
The scene where the protagonist lends her shoulder to support Molly when he is drenched and unable to move. I believe that moment was the very first time he met eye to eye, as a true equal, with someone he was meant to be shielding. And perhaps, deep down, the birdies wished he had leaned on them more, too... Those were the thoughts that crossed my mind.
Noil Bestia

Noil Bestia

He is so exceptionally good at dishing out compliments that there were times during production when the entire staff felt their hearts completely healed by him. What modern society truly cannot live without... isn't it Noil Bestia?
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
I love the scene during the final battle where the two of them fight back-to-back. What Noil entrusted to the protagonist in that moment was far more than simply asking her to slay a monster; he was entrusting her with the very strike that would end his best friend's life. And she accepted that burden… I truly feel that was the moment both of them shouldered an immensely heavy burden together.
Dorothy

Dorothy

Because his role made him so incredibly easy to work into scenes, I had to be mindful not to let him appear too often. In the end, no matter how hard I tried, he somehow popped up everywhere anyway. His voice line count is by far the highest in the game.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
The scene where Dorothy exhausts the last of the otherworld's power left a deep impression on me. The words 'I just want an ordinary tomorrow' might sound modest, but they touch upon a fundamentally human wish. For someone who is more human at heart than anyone, I think this was the scene where he could finally pour out those true feelings. In reality, that's what happiness truly is, isn't it? To wake up tomorrow and be able to see the person you love most—I feel there is no greater joy in life than that.
Page 122
 
♥ Kazari Tayu ♥
Character Design & Lead Artist

Overall Production

Q: To start off, please tell us how you felt when it was decided you would be handling the character designs and key art for this title, as well as your initial impressions of the project.
 
I had previously collaborated with the director, Hosoya-san, on another project for quite a long time. Ever since then, I held absolute faith in her meticulous scenario writing and delicate character portrayals. So when this offer came my way, my heart swelled with anticipation, thinking, 'This is guaranteed to be a compelling title,' and I gladly accepted right away. As I learned more about the specifics, I realised the story would demand an immense range of expressive versatility—from gut-wrenching scenes that tear at the heart to moments brimming with sensuality. I vividly remember how thrilling it felt as an artist, wondering just how far my current skills could go in elevating this world.
 
Q: Please tell us what things were like during development, along with any memorable struggles that you can look back on and talk about now.
 
It had been quite a long time since I last worked on illustrations for an otome game, so at first, I worried whether my current art style might feel a bit disconnected with what is expected in the otome industry. But as I mentioned earlier, precisely because the story was one that demanded such a wide range of expressive versatility, I resolved to take an equally bold approach with the artwork. I divided the production into two distinct styles—for the promotional art of the game, like the key visuals and cover art, I went with a rich, densely detailed rendering style. In contrast, for the in-game event CGs, I opted for a slightly more animation-leaning style that deliberately stripped visual noise down to only what was essential, ensuring the characters' raw emotions and the scene's dramatic impact took centre stage. Typically, artists maintain a consistent level of rendering density across all illustrations to prevent the art style from feeling disjointed. But for this game's CGs in particular, when considering what was most vital to convey to the players, I arrived at the conclusion that heavy rendering might not necessarily be the right answer. Even so, I was on edge every single day leading up to release, wondering how players would react... To this day, I still can't say with absolute certainty whether that was the right choice, but I would be truly glad if it succeeded in placing the characters' emotions and the story above all else.

The Characters

Q: When designing the characters, what kinds of requests and instructions did you receive from the development team?
 
To begin with, I received fairly detailed reference materials covering the characters' lore based on their respective motifs, their personalities, the direction of their Dark routes, rough concepts for their clothing and hairstyles, colour schemes, as well as their speech styles. While there were mandatory elements that had to be drawn—such as hair and eye colours deeply tied to the lore, or key accessories and weapons that appear in the story—it was a very egalitarian, open-minded atmosphere where I was welcome to pitch my own ideas if I came up with something better. Incidentally, when it came to the Dark route expressions that serve as one of the title's most distinctive features, I remember receiving especially meticulous direction because the team wanted a sharp, undeniable contrast with their brighter expressions.
 
Q: Given that this title takes inspiration from The Wizard of Oz, were there any specific aspects you kept in mind when designing the characters?
 
While incorporating each character's respective motif, my goal for the overall aesthetic was to evoke an atmosphere with a subtle scent of sorrow, bringing a sense of unity and establishing the worldbuilding unique to this title.
 
Q: Were there any characters whose designs came together smoothly, or conversely, any characters whose designs proved difficult to finalise?
 
Most of the characters were actually approved on my very first draft. Dorothy in particular was developed right at the start of production when Director Hosoya and I got together for an intensive session almost like a creative boot camp; I sketched rough concepts on the spot while we hashed out specific details like, 'Maybe like this?' or 'Perhaps a bit more like that.' Since he occupies such a vital role in Over Requiemz, having Dorothy firmly established right from the beginning created a solid foundation, which I feel worked out brilliantly. There weren't really any characters who gave me immense trouble, but if I had to pick one, it would be Kaize. I incrementally finely tuned the nuances of his facial features and hairstyle until I felt he emanated the right aura. When designing characters, I always strive to ensure their face matches their name. Right in the middle of making those subtle adjustments, there came a sudden breakthrough where I thought, 'This is Kaize!'—and I finally met his current design. The thrill of that moment is something I'll never forget.
 
Q: Once the designs were finalised, were there any characters you found easy to illustrate, or conversely, any who took far longer to draw? Please tell us about them, alongside any reasons and key details.
 
Molly came very naturally to my hand. Given his background lore, he isn't someone with an ever-shifting array of facial expressions, so capturing what makes him distinctly 'Molly' offered a great sense of stability. At the same time, precisely because he rarely breaks his composure, drawing him when his emotions finally surface during those critical scenes was immensely rewarding. On the other hand, the most difficult character to draw is Claude. In fact, among the entire Over Requiemz cast, I personally feel Claude possesses the most realistic facial features. That's likely the result of tailoring his look to reflect his deeply human personality and disposition. But because he doesn't have that typical 'anime character' look, he never settles into fixed expressions. He's an elusive character for whom perhaps no easy trick to drawing him exists.
 
Q: Were there any elements added to the character lore or story, or any aspects that were altered as a direct result of your character designs?
 
Director Hosoya was always remarkably flexible about incorporating ideas I pitched on the spot. For instance, since the overarching theme of this game was 'travelling with murderers', I suggested that they really ought to all be wearing cloaks—both to avoid carelessly exposing their identities and to shield them from the weather and shifting temperatures. By discussing concrete details like that together, we wove them directly into the designs, and having them reflected concurrently in the scenario created a real sense of synergy between the art and the narrative. Kaize possessing a royal pendant was another small suggestion of mine. Jewellery and heirlooms engraved with royal crests serve as vital motifs for establishing a world's history. I drew a rough concept envisioning an emerald pendant that could also take the shape of a star and a four-point compass pointing north, south, east, and west, and that sketch was ultimately approved. The in-game UI was similarly unified around compass and star motifs, so rather than visual details in the illustrations sticking out awkwardly, everything resonated across the entire work. It allows players to feel the world of Over Requiemz in every detail, which I thought came together wonderfully.
 
Q: Did your impression of any characters change from the initial planning stages once you read the scenario, or when the voice acting was added to the game?
 
Because I was able to read the scenario from a fairly early stage while working on the illustrations, my impression of the cast never underwent any drastic changes along the way (though my heart was racing at just how captivating the story was). However, when I listened to the recorded voice tracks for the first time, Dorothy's presence in particular gained incredible depth in my mind. Brought to life through voice actor Shun Horie's performance, all of Dorothy's complex layers as a three-dimensional, living person suddenly sprang into motion—the genuine affection he harbours for the protagonist concealed beneath his outward tone, the quiet depth of his lived years, yet also his stubborn refusal to let any of that be easily perceived. Experiencing that firsthand gave me far greater clarity on how to visually portray him as an artist.
 
Q: Though it wasn't possible this time around, were there any specific scenes you found yourself wishing you could illustrate for this title?
 
It is a delicate balance because there is a strict ceiling on what can be depicted under the rating guidelines, but the truth is I genuinely wanted to push for even more daring illustrations...! Aside from that, an illustration featuring the entire travelling party together alongside the protagonist never appeared in the event CGs, so I would have loved to draw that.
 
Q: Lastly, please share a final message with all the fans.
 
Thank you so very much for playing the game and reading this book! The days I spent illustrating while keeping close to the characters' deep suffering and every single ray of hope were demanding, but they became an irreplaceable experience. I feel truly honoured to have contributed to this sorrowful yet beautiful story as an illustrator. I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt gratitude to Director Hosoya. As a member of the creative team, I also sincerely hope that the opportunity will arise for the fans to meet these characters once again! Until then, may you always have safe travels.
Page 123
 
♥ Supporting Characters ♥
Behind-the-Scenes Stories & Kazari Tayu's Favourite Facial Expressions

We spoke with Kazari Tayu about the meticulous details and creative intentions poured into the lore and visuals of this vividly unique supporting cast!

Archray

Archray

 
Favourite Expression: Anger
 
The key feature is his small, pointed, vampire-like fangs.
 
Archray's colour palette stands in direct contrast to Kaize's. Through design elements such as his jacket being split half-and-half between black and white, and his sword guard taking the shape of thorny briars enclosing a hollow egg, I sought to convey the distortion and instability of his very existence. The tip of his blade was inspired by the barbed point of a spearfishing harpoon used in freediving. I incorporated that detail thinking that something which 'cannot easily be dislodged once it pierces you' would serve to symbolise his relentless hatred. Another defining feature is the dark reddish, stagnant shadows around his eyes, evoking the look of someone whose eyes have swollen from weeping inconsolably over grief and resentment.
Toto

Toto

 
Favourite Expression: Exasperation
 
Toto's eyebrows are surprisingly expressive.
 
With Toto, there was a specific need to closely resemble the appearance of a certain main character. Because his constitution is frail, I dressed him in thin, loose-fitting garments to make his slender, delicate frame immediately apparent.
Nenohs Uraw

Nenohs Uraw

 
Favourite Expression: Displeasure
 
I love the contrast of him scowling with all his might despite having such an adorable face.
 
Whilst he may appear delicate at first glance, I balanced his design to convey a fastidious, sharp, and aggressive impression. The unceasing anger he continually harbours toward the world is reflected in his red pupils. I also incorporated botanical motifs throughout his outfit, such as plant vines and leaves adorning the sleeves, and a collar shaped like a butterfly.
Osser Woodland

Osser Woodland

 
Favourite Expression: Faint Smile
 
The subtle hint of weariness in his face is the defining touch.
 
While he exudes an aura of relaxed composure far more than the other characters, his clothing is entirely buttoned-up with no openings whatsoever. Perhaps he has something he wishes to conceal. The murky, sombre green of his cloak and his long black gloves carry just a faint touch of shadow.
Glinda Felis

Glinda Felis

 
Favourite Expression: Sorrow
 
I have a soft spot for the clouded expression of someone so noble.
 
In contrast to her younger brother Noil having the moon as his motif, Glinda as the elder sister incorporates the sun. This reflects her strong sense of justice, resilience, and dignity, as well as the emotional distance between her and Noil. To portray her rigorously trained lower body and immense lung capacity, Glinda's thighs and bust are drawn with noticeably firmer, more robust fullness compared to the protagonist, Yuhiru.
Eugene Pulpo

Eugene Pulpo

 
Favourite Expression: Default
 
I love that his resting expression is asymmetrical by default.
 
I expressed Eugene’s distorted, unsettling presence through a uniform design that feels distinct and alien compared to both Noil's and Glinda's. His undulating hair and peculiar facial quirks reflect his true, underlying personality.
Page 124
 
♥ Main Characters ♥
Behind-the-Scenes Design Stories, Kazari Tayu's Creative Insights & Favourite Event CGs

We spoke with Kazari Tayu about the behind-the-scenes secrets of the protagonist and the five romanceable male leads, as well as her favourite facial expressions and event CGs.

Protagonist

Protagonist

 
Favourite Expression: Smile
 
I drew this with the heartfelt wish that the other characters might find salvation in the protagonist's smile...!
 
I took immense care with the features around her face, such as the tilt of her eyes and eyebrows and the length of her bangs, ensuring she did not appear overly bold or too timid, and that no single personality trait or strong sense of ego stood out too prominently. Furthermore, because she is frequently shown from behind or in profile during in-game event CGs, I designed her to look lovely no matter what angle she is viewed from.
Kaize Ozma

Kaize Ozma

 
Favourite Expression: Smile
 
I am really fond of that subtle sense of him being unaccustomed to smiling, as if he still hasn't quite figured out how to do it properly.
 
I spent time finding the right balance for his bangs—something that appears obstructive at first glance, yet surprisingly leaves his line of sight clear. His heavy black cloak, draping all the way down to his feet, evokes a veil of darkness cloaking his deep sorrow. The blade at his side was deliberately designed to subtly resemble a Japanese katana. Reflecting on how Kaize had likely spent his life unaccustomed to smiling until he met the protagonist, I made a conscious effort throughout the game to portray a smile from someone who still doesn't quite know how to.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
What makes this game so captivating is that it does not simply rely on sex appeal or romantic thrills; it takes immense care in portraying two souls understanding and feeling each other on a profound level. In this specific scene, I paid meticulous attention to the lighting and facial expressions, reflecting deeply on how Kaize and the protagonist feel towards each other and the bond their hearts share.
Claude Grain

Claude Grain

 
Favourite Expression: Yandere
 
I think it is precisely because he usually has such a calm, grounded demeanour that the sheer creepiness really shines through.
 
Since his literary model is the Scarecrow, I envisioned his hair as straw and styled his clothing and cloak after weather-worn rags left out in the elements. In parts of his outfit, I incorporated decorative motifs adapted from the kanji for 'rice field' (田). While it wasn't included in the original design brief, I added a subtle red gradient to the tips of his hair as an unspoken backstory detail—a lingering trace of blood-splatter from long ago. The red tips of his eyelashes are another key feature.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
I remember nervously submitting this illustration wondering, 'Is an otome game love interest crying with snot running down his face really going to pass review?'—so I was genuinely shocked when it received an enthusiastic green light. When the dam holding back a lifetime of repressed emotions finally gives way, it's practically impossible to cry while keeping a pretty, composed face. Guided purely by Claude's unvarnished emotions, this remains one of my absolute favourite CGs.
Page 125
 
Molly Woodland

Molly Woodland

 
Favourite Expression: Smile
 
That slanted, cynical smile perfectly captures Molly's effortless composure, making it my favourite.
 
Drawing inspiration from his literary model, the Tin Woodman, he wears streamlined silver armour. Much like Claude, sections of his clothing incorporate decorative motifs adapted from the kanji for 'forest' (森). Taking his combat style into account, his footwear is lighter than anyone else's, yet given the unique constitution of his body, he reveals no bare skin whatsoever. In the artwork, I take great care to ensure the contours of his face never take on any organic fleshiness, consciously avoiding any unnecessary flush of warmth or rosiness in his complexion.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
If he were a flesh-and-blood human, his posture would be far more limp and relaxed, but factoring in the nature of Molly's body, I deliberately had him sit like a doll. When I received the flat-colour files to handle the final finishing touches myself, I devoted a great deal of time to perfecting the interplay of light and shadow enveloping him.
Noil Bestia

Noil Bestia

 
Favourite Expression: Dubious
 
I love that half-lidded, exasperated glare—it's an expression entirely unique to Noil.
 
Drawing from his literary model of the Cowardly Lion, the volume in his hair and the fur trim around his collar are styled to evoke a lion's mane. The long braid trailing down his back is modelled after a tail. If you compare him to Kaize and the rest of the cast, a key detail is that Noil—being the only one modelled after an animal—has distinctly shaped pupils. Furthermore, Noil's cowardice, specifically that urge to avert his eyes from his guilt-ridden past, is reflected in his overgrown bangs that shroud his line of sight.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
I can't go into specifics, but before completion, this scene was considerably more intense. Because I pushed the boundaries a bit too aggressively, the depiction ended up having to be toned down just enough to skirt the limit of what was allowed. Still, I think it stands out as one of the true highlights of Noil's route, making it an illustration I am quite fond of.
Dorothy

Dorothy

 
Favourite Expression: Deadpan
 
I love that he often comes out with the oddest things while wearing this completely deadpan expression.
 
When compared to the rest of the cast, he wears a golden flower circlet, an emerald brooch, pearls, and rings—giving him a curiously noble air. The pattern across his chest was inspired by the Southern Cross flower. The intricate layers of draped fabric and pleats in his attire serve to embody the sheer complexity of Dorothy's very existence.
 
Creative Highlights & Favourite Event Scene
 
Truth be told, while the Quest 4 Dorothy CG is a personal favourite of mine, this book is actually the first place I'm revealing that this illustration featuring Toto is my absolute favourite. The desperate protagonist cradling a critically wounded Toto—I poured my heart and soul into illustrating this tragic scenario. It's so utterly heartbreaking, which is precisely why I love it.
 

Thank you for reading! ♡

I hope you enjoyed! If there's anything else you'd like me to translate, feel free to leave a request in the comments, on Ko-fi, or on Twitter.

 
 
Disclaimer: This is an unofficial fan translation created for personal reading and accessibility. Please support the official release by purchasing the original work on BookWalker or authorised platforms. Please do not repost or redistribute this translation without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment